

There Was Once an Asylum



This site not only provides an overview of mental health history and its implications for Goodna but also explores the complex relationship between memory and history
There are stories we may never know, but this site uncovers the history, revealing the layers of understanding that form the foundation of the present.
It is done in a way that honours the patients, clients, and the people.
Site Profile
Operational Names:
Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum 1865 - 1880
Goodna Asylum for the Insane 1880 - 1898
Goodna Hospital for the Insane 1898 - 1940
Brisbane Mental Hospital 1940 - 1963
Brisbane Special Hospital 1963 - 1969
Wolston Park Hospital 1969 - 2001
The Park - Centre for Mental Health Treatment, Research and Education
2001 - current
Operating Under Government Departments:
Colonial Secretary's Office
10/01/1865 to 06/08/1896
Home Secretary's Office
06/08/1896 to 05/12/1935
Health and Home Affairs Department
05/12/1935 to 26/09/1963
Department of Health
26/09/1963 to 03/04/2012
West Moreton Hospital and Health Service
01/07/2012 - Current
Heritage Classification:
State Heritage
Register status:
Entered
Date entered:
21 October 1992
Types:
Archaeological: Archaeological potential
Archaeological: Artefact scatter
Burial ground: Cemetery - Private
Education, Research, Scientific Facility: School - Special
Farming - Agriculture/Dairying/Grazing/Horticulture: Accommodation - barracks, huts
Farming - Agriculture/Dairying/Grazing/Horticulture: Farm - dairy
Farming - agriculture/dairying/grazing/horticulture: Farm
Farming - agriculture/dairying/grazing/horticulture: Piggery
Health and Care Services: Benevolent inst./home - inebriates'
Health and Care Services: Benevolent institution/home - physically/intellectually disabled
Health and Care Services: Office/Office Building/Administration Centre
Health and care services: Benevolent institution/home
Health and care services: Hospital - psychiatric/mental institute/asylum
Health and care services: Hospital - repatriation/veteran’s
Health and care services: Mortuary/morgue
Recreation and Entertainment: Golf course
Recreation and Entertainment: Swimming pool/Baths - in-ground
Recreation and entertainment: Cricket ground
Religion/worship: Chapel
Residential: Villa
Retail, Wholesale, Services: Laundry
Utilities - Gas and Electricity supply: Electricity Power Station - coal/gas/oil
Utilities - drainage, sewerage, waste disposal: Rubbish dump
Utilities - water supply: Dam/reservoir
Utilities - water supply: Pumping station
Themes:
Peopling places: Family and marking the phases of life
Exploiting, utilising and transforming the land: Pastoral activities
Exploiting, utilising and transforming the land: Agricultural activities
Exploiting, utilising and transforming the land: Managing water
Exploiting, utilising and transforming the land: Valuing and appreciating the environment and landscapes
Working: Unpaid labour
Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings: Developing urban services and amenities
Maintaining order: Policing and maintaining law and order
Creating social and cultural institutions: Worshipping and religious institutions
Creating social and cultural institutions: Sport and recreation
Educating Queenslanders: Providing primary schooling
Providing health and welfare services: Providing health services
Providing health and welfare services: Caring for women and children
Providing health and welfare services: Caring for the aged and infirm
Architects:
Queensland Department of Public Works
Tiffin, Charles
Designer:
Cannan, Kersey
Construction periods:
1843 - 1865, Early Asylum Site (1865), including former Simpson Residence Site (1843-44)
1860, Former Sandstone Quarry and Track (1860s)
1866 - 1951, Female Wards 1 & 2
(1866 additions and modifications added in 1868, 1870, 1875, 1905, 1906, 1923, 1937, and 1951)
1866 - 1978, Wolston Park Hospital Complex (1866 - 1978)
1870 - 1950, Early Road Network (1870s - 1950s)
1885 - 1924, Bostock House (1885, extended 1901, c1924)
1890 - 1958, Residence (1890s - 1910s, relocated c1958, c2000)
1890 - 1972, Recreation Hall (1890, extended c1914, remodelled c1972)
1895 - 1910, Male Recreation Grounds (by 1895) and Cricket Pavilion (1910)
1895 -1912, Former Cemetery Site (1895 - 1912)
1898 - 1917, Fleming House (1898, extended c1917)
1898, Medical Superintendent’s Residence and Garden (1898)
1902 - 1949, Morgue (1902, extended 1949)
1902 - 1955, Female Bathroom Block (1902)
1902, Male Bathroom Block (1902)
1912 - 1920, Visitors Garden (c1912) and Visitors Pavilion (1920)
1912, Assistant Medical Superintendent’s Residence and Garden (1912)
1913 - 1945, Former Cemetery Site (c1913 - 1945)
1914, Reservoir and Pump Houses (1914)
1915, Lewis House, McDonnell House, and Noble House (all 1915)
1916 - 1919, Piggery Remnants (1916 - 19)
1916, Early Farm Ward Kitchen and Dairy (1916)
1917, Powerhouse (1917)
1917, Anderson House (1917)
1917, Administration Building (1917)
1917, Hospital (1917)
1918, Laundry (1918)
1918, Farm Overseer’s House (1918, relocated within complex area c2009 - 13)
1920 - 1925, Gailes Golf Club Course (1925)
1934, Osler House (1928), Pearce House (1934)
1936, Gladstone House, Jenner House, and Kelsey House (all 1936)
1944, Shelter Shed for Female Patients (by 1944)
1944, Garage (by 1944)
1944, Dawson House (1944)
1948, Repatriation Kitchen Block (1948)
1948, Repatriation Wards A, B, and C (all 1948)
1950 - 1956, Dam (1950) and Pump House (by 1956)
1951 - 1955, Female Recreation Grounds (1951-5)
1951, Cafeteria (c1951)
1951, Change Room and Stores Shed (c1951)
1951, Packing Shed and Patients Shelter (c1951)
1954 - 1955, Repatriation Recreation Grounds (c1954 - 5)
1954, Farm Ward Building and Grounds (1954-6, Basil Stafford Centre)
1961, Repatriation Occupational Therapy and Recreation Hall (c1961)
1961, Chapel (1961)
1964, Later Farm Ward for Male Patients (c1964, later called Weeroona)
1967- 1973, School Building for Child Patients with Intellectual Disabilities (1967), Swimming Pool (c1973)
1978, Villas (c1978)
Historical period:
1840s - 1860s Mid 19th century
1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
1914 - 1919 World War I
1919 - 1930s Interwar period
1939 - 1945 World War II
1940s - 1960s post-WWII
1970s - 1990s Late 20th century
Style:
Arts & Crafts
Classicism
Persons In Charge
Kersey Cannan
1860 - 1869
Henry Challinor
James Hogg
Henry Byam Ellerton
1909 - 1937
Basil Stafford
1937 - 1950
J.E.F Mcdonald
1943 - 1944
Clive Boyce
1950 - 1965
Orme Orford
1965 - 1976
Harry (Don) Eastwell
1976 - 1978
Victor Matchett
1976 (Acting), 1978 (Acting), 1981 -1982
James Wood
1982 -83 (Acting), 1983 - 1990
Courtesy of the Queensland State Archives here we see the paperwork advising of the change from Brisbane Special Hospital to Wolston Park Hospital in 1968.






Site Buildings
Female Division
• Female Ward 1 & 2 (Preserved)
• Original Female Ward 1 & 2 (Demolished)
• Female Refractory Cells (Demolished)
• Female Ward 3 & 5, Female Ward 3, Cameron House (Demolished)
• Female Ward 4 Dawson House (Preserved)
• Female Ward 6 Bostock House (Preserved)
• Female Ward 7 Anderson House (Preserved)
• Female Ward 8(Demolished)
• Female Ward 9 (Unknown)
• Female Ward 10 (Unknown)
• Female Ward 11, Lewis House (Preserved)
• Matron Quarters (Demolished)
• Nurses Quarters (Demolished)
• Female Toilets, Sewing Rooms (Preserved)
Male Division
• Male Ward 2 (Unknown)
• Male Ward 2 Visitors Pavilion (Demolished)
• Male Ward 2 Recreation Shelter (Demolished)
• Male Ward 2 Visitation Shelter (Demolished)
• New Male Ward 2 (Unknown)
• Male Ward 3 (Unknown)
• Male Ward 4 (Demolished)
• Male Ward 5 Fleming House (Preserved)
• Male Ward 6, 7, 8 Gladstone, Jenner, Kelsey House (Preserved)
• Male Ward 11 McDonnell House (Preserved)
•Male Ward 12 & 13 Noble House (Preserved)
• Male Ward 9 & 10 Lewis House (Preserved)
• New Male Ward 14, Osler House (Preserved)
• New Male Ward 15 Pearce House (Preserved)
• Male Ward E (Unknown)
Other Wards, Buildings
• Farm Ward, Basil Stafford (Preserved)
• Farm Block, Basil Stafford (Preserved)
• Morgue (Preserved)
• Powerhouse (Preserved)
• Administration (Preserved)
• Laundry (Preserved)
• Workshop (Preserved)
• Water Reservoirs and Pumping Stations (Preserved)
• John Oxley Centre (Demolished)
• John Oxley Memorial Hospital (Demolished)
• Cemetery Sites 1,2,3
• Riverside Ballroom, Wolston Park Golf Club (Preserved)
•Croquet Green (Shelter Preserved)
• Soccer Field (Demolished)
• Cricket Field, Eddie Gilbert Memorial Field (Preserved)
• Staff Residence 10 (Preserved)
• Assistant Medical Superintendents Residence (Preserved)
• Medical Superintendents Residence (Preserved)
• Chapels (1 of 3 Preserved)